Waxing is the best and safest way to remove undesired body hair, but needs to be done properly. Without the proper precautions, you can certainly suffer from red skin or scabs. Precautionary methods need to be undertaken before, during and after the waxing treatment.
With lots of wax centers in Woodland Hills in operation, it can be difficult to choose the right ones. You can check out the online reviews and ratings for help. When you book a waxing appointment, there are certain things you need to take care off.
While booking an appointment
If you suffer from any skin issue or allergy, discuss it with the professional, before booking an appointment. Waxing is unsuitable in several conditions –
- On acne or accutane medication or have used Retin-A within last 6 months
- Using skin thinning or anti-ageing products
- Sun burnt or got too much UV exposure within last 12 hours
- Suffering from varicose veins
- Allergic to particular latex or oils
Other situations to consider before waxing
- If you have undergone Botox treatment, then avoid waxing for a minimum of 72 hours.
- It is suggested to carry out patch tests on your skin. This helps you get an idea about how much your skin is receptive for waxing, especially for women who are on oral contraceptives or are pregnant.
- Women become sensitive, especially before period. Thus, schedule an appointment after your periods, especially if you are opting for waxing for the first time.
Before waxing advise
Two hours before your schedule for waxing take a shower or bath with lukewarm water.
Regular exfoliating of your skin using bath mitt or body scrub is recommended, but before going for a wax, give a 2 day break. Wax sticks work well on clean skin.
Long hair removal can be extremely painful, so trim areas that need to be waxed. Hair growth needs to be approximately 1.5 cm for the first timers. However, if you are a regular, then it can be 0.5 cm – 1 cm.
Things to avoid
Use of deodorants and moisturizers can hinder the waxing process, as the wax is not evenly applied on your hair, resulting in skin irritation.
Ice also tightens the pores, which makes hair removal excruciating. It is better to use ice later to close the pores.
Post waxing advice
Hair follicles open after waxing treatment, making your skin vulnerable, which could lead to root infection. Therefore, avoid the following for 24 hours post waxing.
- Hot shower or swim or bath
- Excess perspiration or friction
- Body lotion, fake tan, perfume
- UV exposure
- Tight clothes
- Make up
Waxing is clearly uprooting hair, so you need to soothe your skin after the process. Experts suggest a good quality aloe based gel, which is cooling, as it settles down inflamed skin. Once you choose a waxing center, find out if this salon has the most options, so that you do not have to go places for other treatments.